Monday, November 28, 2011

Telework Research Network: Keeping the Worker Home

Although telework may not be the future of working, it is a future of working. Teleworking is when an employee works out of his or her home via the internet or other wired or wireless communication between the worker and the office.

Teleworking is more widespread than you may realize: that person right on the other side of your cubicle’s patrician could be a part-time teleworker.

I’ve got to be honest with you, I’m a part-time teleworker. I’ve got my full-time gig with all the benefits along with the opportunity to wear a tie forty hours a week in downtown Sacramento. But in the evenings and on the weekend I put in close to twenty hours a week writing freelance assignments.

Since I work for a number of different employers, I am by no means stuck at twenty hours a week. I can cut back when I wish to and ramp back up at other times. The twenty hours is my upper limit and something I can do rather easily while my daughter is busy with homework.

There are also some employees who do all of their full-time work, or at least the bulk of it, as telework. The worker enjoys it because working from home gets rid of ten commutes a week and also reduces clothing and lunch costs. The employer enjoys it too, because telework cuts down on office costs and also improves employee morale.

There is an organization dedicated to spreading the positive word about teleworking: the Telework Research Network. If you are interested in learning more about teleworking for yourself or your organization, I strongly recommend that you contact this organization since they can help you form a pro-telework argument that just might turn the heads you need to turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment